Before you can participate in one of our chat rooms you must have your
microphone volume set correctly. Adjust your microphone by following these steps:
- Start the volume control application using one of the following methods:
- Go to your task tray. If you have a volume control icon on the task tray,
highlight it and press enter. On the resulting context menu choose "Open
Volume Controls". If you do not have a volume control icon on your task tray
- Go to the start menu. Then go to Programs then Accessories then
Entertainment and then Volume Control and press enter.
- Regardless of the method you use to start the volume control application the
remainder of the instructions are the same.
- Press the Alt key to access the menu bar, arrow down to Properties and
- tab once and you will be on a set of two radio buttons. One says "Adjust
volume for Playback" and the other says "Adjust volume for Recording".
Highlight the "Adjust volume for Recording" button.
- Tab once and you will be on a list view. The list view will contain items
like CD Player, Line In and Microphone. Arrow down to the microphone option
in the list and if it isn't checked, press the spacebar to check it.
- Tab once and you will be on the Ok button. Then press enter.
- You will now be on a screen with one or more check box and slider pairs.
One check box and one slider will be present for each one of the items that
were checked in the list view on the previous screen. The check boxes are used
to turn the items i.e. CD Player, Line in or microphone etc. on or off. The
sliders are used to set the volume levels for those items. Tab until you get
to the microphone slider.
- Adjust the microphone slider with the up and down arrow keys. The up arrow
will turn the volume up and the down arrow turns the volume down. The Home key
turns the volume up to its maximum and the End key turns the volume right down
- You may want to turn on the 20 DB boost for your microphone. to do this:
- Tab down to the "Advanced" button and press enter.
- You will now be on the Advanced Controls for Microphone screen.
When you enter this screen You will be on a check box. If it is not checked
press the spacebar to check it.
- Press Alt-F4 to exit the Advanced Controls for Microphone screen.
- Press Alt-F4 to exit the volume control application.
Return To Main Help Page