1 c. all purpose or cake flour
1/2 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. milk
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 c. hot water
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Combine flour, salt, 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder, baking powder, and 1/2 c. granulated sugar in a 2 quart baking dish.
3. In a separate bowl, combine milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
4. Mix into dry ingredients in baking dish until fully combined.
5. Combine remaining 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder, 1/2 c. granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
6. Sprinkle over cake batter.
7. Pour hot water evenly over batter.
8. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes, or until top of cake is set.
9. Spoon into individual dishes; top as desired.
Caramel, butterscotch, or hot fudge sauce
Pecans, almonds, or walnuts
Storing & reheating
Because this cake is so gooey and pudding-like, the best way to store it is covered, in the same pan it is baked in. To reheat, just set the oven temperature to 350°, cover with foil, and bake 30 minutes or until heated through.