Pastry for single-crust 9-inch pie
1 1/2 cups Equal? Spoonful*
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup European or Dutch-process cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups 2% milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Light whipped topping (optional)
Chocolate curls (optional)
1. Roll pastry on floured surface into circle 1 inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into plate; trim and flute edge. Pierce bottom and side of pastry with fork. Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden. Cool on wire rack.
2. Combine Equal?, cornstarch, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Boil and stir until
thickened, about 1 minute.
3. Beat eggs in small bowl; whisk about 1 cup chocolate mixture into eggs. Whisk egg mixture into chocolate mixture in saucepan. Cook over very low heat,
whisking constantly, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
4. Spread hot filling in baked crust. Refrigerate until chilled and set,
about 6 hours. Garnish top of pie with dollops of whipped topping and chocolate curls, if desired. Cut pie into wedges.
Makes 8 servings.
* May substitute 27 packets Equal sweetener
Nutrition information per serving:
calories 235 protein 7 g carbohydrate 27 g
fat 10 g cholesterol 66 mg sodium 463 mg
Food Exchanges: 1 milk, 1 starch, 2 fat
A rich chocolate pie that has 43% less calories than a traditional recipe,
because it is flavored with Equal, unsweetened cocoa and lower fat milk. Indulge
without the guilt!