4 cups whole milk
2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons cornstarch
6 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1 (9-inch) baked pie crust
1. In a heavy-bottomed 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, heat milk
2. In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cornstarch. Add to milk and cook
over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Turn heat down as low as possible.
3. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with a wire whisk. Add a small amount of
hot milk to yolks, whisk together and gradually pour egg yolk mixture into the pot. Cook over low heat for 2 more minutes.
4. Remove custard from heat and stir in butter, chocolate and vanilla.
5. Dissolve gelatin in cold water and stir into custard. Immediately pour
into pie shell. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
Makes 8 servings