BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE, ground fine, 6 ounces
• DARK ESPRESSO, cooled, 6 ounces
• BRANDY, 1/2 cup
• MARSALA, 1/2 cup
• LADY FINGERS, dry Italian, 36
• EGGS, 7 with yolks and whites separated
• SUGAR, 3 tablespoons
• MASCARPONE, 1-1/4 pounds
Stuff You'll Need
• Kitchen whip (do not use an electric mixer)
• 3 mixing bowls
• 3- to 4-quart glass serving dish
1. Mix the coffee with the half of the brandy and half of the Marsala.
2. Place half the ladyfingers tightly together on the bottom of a shallow 3- to 4-quart glass serving dish and splash them with half the coffee mixture so they are soaked (but do not leave any unabsorbed liquid in the dish.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and the remaining brandy and Marsala until the eggs are light and foamy.
4. Add the Mascarpone and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth.
5. In another bowl, whip the egg whites to firm peaks and fold them into the Mascarpone cream.
6. Spread half this mixture over the ladyfingers, and then, using half the ground chocolate, cover the cream mixture with an even layer.
7. Sprinkle the remaining ladyfingers with the rest of the coffee mixture and layer them in the dish.
8. Then, cover them with the remaining Mascarpone cream, and then with the remaining chocolate.
9. mRefrigerate for at least 5 hours.