• EGGS, 8, with yolks and whites separated
• SUGAR, 1/3 cup
• MASCARPONE, 1 pound
• HEAVY CREAM, 1 cup
• ESPRESSO COFFEE, 2 cups cooled
• BRANDY, 2/3 cup
• LADY FINGERS, 30
• BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE, 2 ounces grated
• COCOA POWDER, Dutch process, sifted, for garnish
1. Mix the sugar into the egg yolks, blending well.
2. Add a little Mascarpone at a time to the egg yolk mixture, and mix until smooth. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Set this aside as well.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
5. Fold the whipped cream into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the beaten egg whites.
6. Spread about 1/3 of the cream mixture of a 4-6 quart glass baking dish or serving bowl.
7. Place expresso coffee in a large mixing bowl, and combine with the brandy.
8. Dip a lady finger into the expresso, lay it in baking dish on cream mixture.
9. Top with grated chocolate.
10. Continue in this manner, laying lady fingers side by side to cover the bottom.
11. Place another 1/3 of cream mixture on top of soaked lady fingers.
12. Cover this with another layer of expresso-soaked lady fingers.
13. Top with remaining cream mixture and grated chocolate.
14. Dust final layer with grated chocolate and cocoa powder.
15. Chill 2 hours to set.