9 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon table salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup cold vegetable shortening
2/3 cup warm water
1. In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
2. Add the shortening and pulse until the mixture resemble a coarse meal.
3. Stir in 2/3 cup warm water, and pulse until a shaggy dough forms.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and soft, 3 to 4 minutes. After kneading, the dough shouldn't be very sticky.
5. Portion the dough into 8 equal pieces, and shape each piece into a ball. Cover the dough and let rest on the counter for at least 30 minutes, up to 2
6. When ready to cook, heat a large (11-12 inch), dry skillet or griddle over medium heat until hot.
7. Working with one ball of dough at a time (keep the remaining dough covered), and using just enough flour to prevent sticking, roll the dough into a 9
- 10 inch round. The dough should be so thin that you can vaguely see the pattern of your countertop through it, and more or less circular.
8. Peel the dough off the counter and lay it in the skillet. Cook until the tortilla bubbles and puffs, and the bottom browns in spots, 45 - 60 seconds.
If any gigantic bubbles form, peirce them so the tortilla cooks evenly.
9. Flip with a spatula, and cook until the second side gets brown in spots, and nay translucent, raw-looking areas become opaque, another 45 to 60seconds. Transfer to a clean dish towel.
10. Repeat with the remaining dough.