1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 lb bittersweet chocolate, chopped (not unsweetened) or semisweet
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups brown sugar, packed
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 (1 1/2 ounce) chocolate-covered english toffee bars, coarsely
chopped (like Heath or Skor)
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl, whisk
2. Stir chocolate and butter in top of a double boiler over
simmering water until melted and smooth. If you don't have a double
boiler, you can use a sauce pan over low heat.
3. Remove pan from over water (heat) and cool to lukewarm.
4. Beat sugar and eggs in a bowl until thick (about 5 minutes)
using an electric mixer.
5. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
6. Stir in flour mixture, then toffee and nuts.
7. Chill batter until firm (about 45 minutes).
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
9. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto parchment-lined cookie sheets,
2 1/2" apart.
10. Bake just until tops are dry and cracked but cookies are still
soft to the touch, about 15 minutes.
11. Cool on cookie sheets
These are wonderful and oh so chocolaty! The toffee adds a really
nice flavor to the cookies, too. These are big cookies--probably 4"
diameter. So, you can make them smaller if you prefer.