2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
9 cups thinly sliced peeled McIntosh apples (about 11 medium)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries, drained
2 tablespoons butter
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 425°. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla until blended. In a large bowl, toss apples with flour, pie spice, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in cherries.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim.
4. Spread cream cheese mixture onto bottom of pastry. Add apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top.
5. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover top loosely with foil during the last 10-15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Prize Winning Recipe
A layer of sweetened cream cheese topped with a tart fruit filling makes this apple cherry cheese pie popular with family, friends and co-workers. It won the blue ribbon at a local fair.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
YIELD: 8 servings.