Pastry for double-crust pie
3/4 cup ground walnuts
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon 2% milk
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups sliced peeled tart apples (4-5 medium)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, cubed
1 teaspoon 2% milk
2 teaspoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust even with rim.
2. In a small bowl, mix walnut layer ingredients until blended. Spread onto bottom of crust. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
3. For filling, in a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla. In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add to apple mixture and toss to coat.
4. Pour filling over walnut layer; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Brush top with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Cut slits in crust.
5. Place pie on a baking sheet. Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack.
Prize Winning Recipe
This pie is special to me because I won a blue ribbon for it at the local fair and was able to compete at the state farm show.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 55 minutes
YIELD: 8 servings.
1 piece: 611 calories, 36g fat (10g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.