2 ounces semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 large egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
Optional toppings: Confectioners' sugar and whipped cream
1. In a small microwave-wave bowl, melt chocolate; stir until smooth.
2. Stir in cream; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, milk, egg, vanilla and salt. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
4. Spoon into 2 greased 2-cup souffle dishes. Bake at 350° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and top with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 30 min. YIELD: 2 servings.